apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko Čibej <br...@e-reka.si>
Subject Re: APR on CI
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2011 10:38:12 GMT
> On 6/23/2011 4:30 PM, Igor Galić wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> apr and apr-util are now for most Unix flavours except Solaris
>> on ci http://ci.apache.org/builders/
>>
>> Gavin would like to proceed with the Windows build next but it
>> appears that the current trunk needs VC6 and doesn't work out
>> of the box on VC10 - if at all.
>>
>> http://apr.apache.org/compiling_win32.html seems to support
>> that suspicion. Is this the status quo or just a lacking on
>> the documentation front?
> Trunk doesn't work out of the box, because we've avoided checking in
> any VC6-exported .mak/.dep files; these are likely to stay in flux
> as 2.0 is further polished and cleaned up.  Every .dsp commit would
> need to be chased by a (louder) .mak commit, and the dependencies
> can also remain in flux.  Alternately, there is cmake logic here
> already that should work, but I haven't been actively doing anything
> with it.
>
> The right answer is to drop .dsp, and figure out a better makefile
> representation/generator for msvc, and perhaps offer some vcproj
> based solution for developers who are exploring the apr API.  It's
> something I had given thought to already, and will spend cycles on
> this once I've cleaned up my currently overfilled plate a bit.  For
> anyone who wants to beat me to it, my initial thought is to borrow
> from the subversion project.  And for ./configure detection, note
> that vbs windows scripting host is available out-of-the-box all the
> time on supported win32 OS's (something that wasn't true when we
> last considered and discarded the idea of leveraging it).

Subversion has a build setup that does exatly what you're describing,
i.e., generates almost any flavour of MSVC project files (and Unix
makefiles) from a generic source tree description. Sure it's not SCons,
but I don't see the SCons build working on Windows anyway.

So why would APR not want to adopt a build system that's been working
just fine for a decade?

-- Brane