apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: APR on CI
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 21:36:36 GMT
On 6/23/2011 4:30 PM, Igor Galić wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> apr and apr-util are now for most Unix flavours except Solaris
> on ci http://ci.apache.org/builders/
>
> Gavin would like to proceed with the Windows build next but it
> appears that the current trunk needs VC6 and doesn't work out
> of the box on VC10 - if at all.
>
> http://apr.apache.org/compiling_win32.html seems to support
> that suspicion. Is this the status quo or just a lacking on
> the documentation front?

Trunk doesn't work out of the box, because we've avoided checking in
any VC6-exported .mak/.dep files; these are likely to stay in flux
as 2.0 is further polished and cleaned up.  Every .dsp commit would
need to be chased by a (louder) .mak commit, and the dependencies
can also remain in flux.  Alternately, there is cmake logic here
already that should work, but I haven't been actively doing anything
with it.

The right answer is to drop .dsp, and figure out a better makefile
representation/generator for msvc, and perhaps offer some vcproj
based solution for developers who are exploring the apr API.  It's
something I had given thought to already, and will spend cycles on
this once I've cleaned up my currently overfilled plate a bit.  For
anyone who wants to beat me to it, my initial thought is to borrow
from the subversion project.  And for ./configure detection, note
that vbs windows scripting host is available out-of-the-box all the
time on supported win32 OS's (something that wasn't true when we
last considered and discarded the idea of leveraging it).