apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: splitting APR and former apr-util libraries
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 23:32:42 GMT
On 6/1/2011 5:37 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:

> What I propose is that we take the APIs in the second group, including but not limited
> XML, dbm, dbd, ldap and crypto, and spin these out into specific dedicated projects of
> their own under the APR umbrella, with their own release cycles, tags and branches. This
> would solve the following problems:

[Include xlate (iconv) in that list]

-1, and I give you apr-iconv and apr-ldap both as the proof that this
is a doomed proposal, and dbd as counterexample of why this is not the
desirable state in the first place.  Actually, I'd offer the pain of the
whole state of PECL as an even better example, and CPAN as an example of
what is necessary to make it work.

dbd was stand alone long before it became part of apr-util and I would be
very interested in niq's opinion.