apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1128885 - in /apr/apr/trunk: build/apu-conf.m4 build/apu-ldap.m4 configure.in
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:10:31 GMT
On 02 Jun 2011, at 1:19 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> On 6/1/2011 5:37 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
>> I see a vote, and no on-list discussion that preceded it. Not only
>> that, I see a vote on
>> the dev@apr list proposing an as yet unheard of solution that
>> concerns a completely
>> separate project, with no discussion having happened on either
>> project. This is not how a
>> project at the ASF works.
>
> Quit whining, of course this is how an ASF project works; there was
> a discussion,
> it ate up a good part of the list bandwidth, with discussion and
> suggestions of
> how to fix, and no fix forthcoming, and a conclusive decision on list;
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/apr-dev/200903.mbox/%3C5c902b9e0903240326r3222ac90k15dcb7f34d2d1587@mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> Justin had brought this to the list from a f2f hackathon for a
> decision as this
> blocked 2.0 in 2009(!).

"So, during the conversations we've had here in Amsterdam regarding
combining APR and APR-util". Another example of discussions taken and
decisions made off list.

This is not how an ASF project works, and wearing my PMC member's hat,
I consider this continued practice a risk to this project.

> but you had years to set aside time, and couldn't be bothered.

I am thoroughly disgusted by this remark.

I have spent weeks and weeks of my time on my dime solving RFC
violations in mod_cache that were contributed to us in 2003, in
addition to a huge amount of other work on fixing the mod_cache API in
time for the imminent release of httpd v2.4, and this is simply more
important right now. A further enormous time sink was resolving your
issues you demanded fixed in the apr_crypto API, which you carried on
complaining about even after the work was completed - you'd hadn't
even noticed the work had been done.

The Apache Way is community over code, a community working together
makes for high quality code that is safe to build upon. When one
member of a community starts behaving abusively towards other members
of the community, the code suffers. Again, wearing my PMC member's
hat, this has got to stop.

>  (In the
> interim, I had to set aside time to make the merge to mod_ldap -
> that is
> how the ASF works, [s]he who does the work makes the decisions.)

I have already declared my intention to veto any attempt to dump this
code in httpd. Our end users and vendors deserve to be treated better
than this.

Regards,
Graham