On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 18:27, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
On 4/14/2011 8:04 PM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 15.04.2011 01:24, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> On 4/14/2011 6:00 PM, Jonathan Leffler wrote:
>>> Given that the second byte is in the range 0x40..0x7E (second para), and / is 0x2F, there
>>> shouldn't be a problem with Shift-JIS.  That's not to say there isn't another codeset
>>> where there isn't a problem, but I don't think it is Shift-JIS and possibly not any of the
>>> main Japanese codesets.
>> Looking at the references to the EUC and Big5 encodings, it seems similarly safe to
>> assume 20-3F are always the expected ASCII representations, while 0x40-0x7E seem dicey.
>>
>> Thanks for this research, it saved me a ton of headaches!
>
> This is what I remember from my messy days, too. Path handling would be
> a nightmare othewise, it's bad enough for poor Windows lusers that \
> gets displayed as ¥ :)

Ok, stupid question; is ¥ the pathname delimiter, for real?  I don't think I have
a working shift-jis environment set up.

The Wikipedia page for Shift-JIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_JIS) shows the Yen symbol ¥ as appearing at 0x5C, which is where the backslash appears in Unicode and ISO 8859-x codesets.

It (backslash) also falls into the danger zone identified earlier (0x40..0x7E).  Sorry - I didn't check backslash earlier.

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler@gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0513 - http://dbi.perl.org