apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leff...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Q to unix filesystem developers
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2011 01:47:09 GMT
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 18:27, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>wrote:

> On 4/14/2011 8:04 PM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> and / is 0x2F, there
> another codeset
> possibly not any of the
> >> Looking at the references to the EUC and Big5 encodings, it seems
> similarly safe to
> >> assume 20-3F are always the expected ASCII representations, while
> 0x40-0x7E seem dicey.
> >>
> >> Thanks for this research, it saved me a ton of headaches!
> >
> > This is what I remember from my messy days, too. Path handling would be
> > a nightmare othewise, it's bad enough for poor Windows lusers that \
> > gets displayed as ¥ :)
>
> Ok, stupid question; is ¥ the pathname delimiter, for real?  I don't think
> I have
> a working shift-jis environment set up.

The Wikipedia page for Shift-JIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_JIS)
shows the Yen symbol ¥ as appearing at 0x5C, which is where the backslash
appears in Unicode and ISO 8859-x codesets.

It (backslash) also falls into the danger zone identified earlier
(0x40..0x7E).  Sorry - I didn't check backslash earlier.

--
Jonathan Leffler <jonathan.leffler@gmail.com>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2008.0513 - http://dbi.perl.org