apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko Čibej <br...@e-reka.si>
Subject Re: Q to unix filesystem developers
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2011 02:51:29 GMT
> On 4/14/2011 8:47 PM, Jonathan Leffler wrote:
>> The Wikipedia page for Shift-JIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_JIS) shows the
Yen
>> symbol ¥ as appearing at 0x5C, which is where the backslash appears in Unicode and
ISO
>> 8859-x codesets.
>>
>> It (backslash) also falls into the danger zone identified earlier (0x40..0x7E).
Sorry - I
>> didn't check backslash earlier.
> Right... even if 0x5C is a pathname separator on win32 using Shift-JIS, we still would
> never be able to trust an arbitrary strchr() search.  But I am still very curious what
> the Shift-JIS separators are (Win32 should always accept '/', is '¥' also a separator?)

It is, and it's interpreted exactly as \, because it's the same code
point. It just happens that the glyph in Japanese console fonts looks
like ¥ not \. I don't remember what happens if you use the proper
Unicode-aware output functions.

Woe to poor programmers who don't realize it can /also/ be the second
byte of a multibyte Shift-JIS-encoded character.

-- Brane