apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Q to unix filesystem developers
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 22:29:15 GMT
On 4/14/2011 5:02 PM, Wes Garland wrote:
>> Correct, utf7/8 are otherwise escaped.
>
> It's stricter than that...

FWIW - I wrote the apr utf8 functions a decade ago.  It's really irrelevant to
my underlying question ;-)

It turns out '/' is the value 63 in utf-7, although we can presume there are no
utf-7 filesystems, I've never heard of it being used for storage, only transport.

> You're right that shift-JIS in particular needs attention paid to it.  Locally, I try
very
> hard not to support any non-unicode character set, but I understand that's a luxury that
> APR does not have.

This isn't a question of APR actually; I'm offering this back to the BSD and
to the the GNU worlds as well.  BSD's was completely bogus with respect to i18n
(it seems linux 2.6 got this mostly correct).  Was hoping one of the filesystem
gurus had some insight on the 'messier' encodings.