apr-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1088023 - in /apr/apr/trunk: CHANGES build/apr_rules.mk.in configure.in include/apr.h.in test/Makefile.in
Date Sat, 02 Apr 2011 15:17:51 GMT
Am 02.04.2011 16:59, schrieb Guenter Knauf:
> no, something which is kinda /me giving up on teaching configure to do
> it right .....
> http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/mingw/MWGNUmakefile
> http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/mingw/MWGNUmakefile.inc
> with that makefile you have both static and dynamic within less the time
> than what configure only needs .... :-)
> and honestly I'm thinking this is brobably a better approach since what
> we now did while wasting countless hours is basically exactly same:
> overwrite configure tests manually :-(
pros:
- fast
- build is 100% in sync with MSVC build (uses same apr.hw etc.)
- easy to maintain for everyone who's familar with GNU make
- no dependency on Python
- no dependency on MSYS / bash / configure / m4 / ...

cons:
- extra maintenance of MWGNUmakefile.inc when source files are added or
removed

the cons can be axed if we would use separate makefile.inc for the
configure builds as well where we list the source files and include
these into the created Makefile ... - then we would in future only
maintain changes at one place = makefile.inc

one point which made me hack this makefile was to see how long it would
take to create a working makefile which does the job, and that was done
within ~2.5 hours;
the other point is that I see not much sense in letting configure waste
a huge amount of time for various tests which then finally get anyway
overwritten - and if I look at our branches this becomes even worse
because configure runs then twice (once for APR, once for APU) ...

Gün.