apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: FYI on "my" MinGW goals
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 02:09:20 GMT
On 3/29/2011 7:46 PM, Guenter Knauf wrote:

> well, there's a huge scope for enhancement as it seems .......
> also our configure is at best 'unusual'; f.e. I have already compiled a couple of things
> successfully on MinGW/MSYS, f.e. such things like bintuils, libcurl, ...; and I did never
> come over any other configure stuff that depends on Python (yet) ...

Point made, but the USER will NEVER do this.  They will not invoke
buildconf.  It's not unreasonable to expect svn based developers to
do provision this.  A lot easier than a whole toolchain.

> also I miss a bit good old times 10 years back with the first httpd 2.0 versions when
> compiled them on Linux, and just only needed to call ./configure in httpd, and that
> configure found itself apr, and apr found itself apr-util, and all went without manual
> interaction ...
> but seems that these times are gone ...

I think maybe you are raising an httpd issue, then, so perhaps
that's not on topic for this list?

> f.e. when I have:
> base
>     /apr
>     /apr-util
>
> why the heck cant apr automatically look for and find ../apr-util if it depends on it?

Because apr does not and never did depend on apr-util.  apr-util
depends on apr.  And we won't be shipping apr-util anymore at 2.0
anyways.  So perhaps that's the end of that discussion?