apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: NW oddness
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:07:55 GMT
On 3/21/2011 9:36 AM, Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Bill,
> Am 21.03.2011 01:40, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
>> Just noticed;
>>
>>    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/trunk/xml/expat_config.hnw
>>
>> It seems awfully strange to have in our apr source tree, as expat is now
>> a dependency built separately from apr.
>>
>> Because it's useful to others to know how we built dependencies, I started
>> a practice of putting build-diffs for win32 binary packages underneath
>>
>>    http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/patches_applied/
>>
>> and I'm wondering if something similar, at /dist/httpd and/or /dist/apr,
>> might not be a better way to approach this fragment for netware?
> can you please tell me whats the benefit for the APR projects if you remove that file
from
> there and put it elsewhere?
> This all sounds a little bit to me as if we are going to make it harder and harder to
> compile on any non-configure aware platforms, and I'm asking me why? With last discussion
> about build whoes on Win32 on httpd-dev it sounded the opposite that we wanted to make
it
> easier, no?

Well, there are a couple of thoughts...

 * ease doesn't seem to be on anyone's mind when this was voted off of the
   island, and I'm ok with that... it does mean longer 'how to build'
   explanations but not much more than that.

 * that code isn't "part of" apr-util xml/, it's part of expat.  So it is
   something of a mislaid file.  Burying it in build/expat/ or something
   similar would seem to make more senses.

 * if we follow 'httpd convention', this was always a lousy path to bury
   expat (srclib/apr-util/xml/expat), as a stand-alone work, it would seem
   more useful to expect expat in parallel to apr-util (srclib/expat).
   This is where I also bury openssl & zlib buried for single tree win32.

 * gstein appears willing to push forwards on an expat release, doesn't it
   make sense to push such things upstream?

Just a few thoughts, it does look out of place in its current path.