apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES confusion
Date Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:29:26 GMT
/* TODO: in 1.3.0 this becomes APR_HAS_SPARSE_FILES, HOWEVER we will
 * still need to test csize before proceeding, because having sparse
 * file support in the OS/APR does not mean this volume supports it!
 */
#if APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES

as noted by the comment, there is a flag to determine if sparse file
semantics are available *within apr* for use by consumers.

There is no longer such a flag in *1.0.0* and later, because apr is
always built with large apr_off_t types (except as noted, where we
had invalid autoconf magic/generated apr.h results).  Whether the
c compiler options call out for 32 or 64 bit off_t's, we should not
care or be impacted.

The comment caused me to wonder if there is some confusion still,
so I thought it would be worthwhile to point this out.  The flag
APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES never had anything to do with any gcc defines,
per say, only that >4gb files are legitimate and addressable by our
apr_off_t type.