apr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org>
Subject Re: apr 1.4.3, apr-util 1.3.11
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 23:32:03 GMT
Hi Bill,
Am 14.03.2011 18:39, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
> On 3/14/2011 12:32 PM, Bert Huijben wrote:
>>
>> Any application that uses apr_filepath_merge() to get an absolute pathfrom a relative
path is broken.... but only if the current directory before starting the application is based
on a lower case drive letter.
>>
>> This is not a common condition, but this patch just fixes that specific error condition.
>>
>> It doesn't alter the comparison of paths.... It fixes an API bug.
>
> Yea, I think that apr_filepath_merge() and apr_filepath_get() are at the
> root of this real issue, and that the result, not the comparison, was
> what was broken.  I have no real interest in ensuring that the path
> name manipulation in your test remains valid, but we agree there is an
> underlying, real issue here.  I've seen 16 bit apps do similar things
> to corrupt the current path, and am looking at both cases together.
I think since we agree that we have a bug with APR +  we have a working 
fix for it we should go with the fix and backport it to all branches for 
now. Sure I agree with you that we should always look for root causes 
rather than intruducing workarounds - but what I not agree is to veto 
working fixes and delaying upcoming releases. Look, we had last release 
2010-04-03, and in few days that means one year back! I strongly hope 
that we get this release now out before the year is full, and that are 
only few days! You can at any time later look for a better fix which 
covers more error cases, and we casn do another release in 2 months, but 
its not ok that we always hold back for these and that and keep fixes in 
trunk only. For others the time moves on, and our end users / consumers 
use releases rather than trunk code, and its not ok to do releases that 
seldom, and even more not ok that we then get in releases rushes and 
release APR, APU and two httpds at same time.
Jeff has proposed to release now for 2nd time (last time was before 
christmas when I asked for), and we should this time get the babe out 
soon, and before we get next httpd release where Jim is urging for.

And BTW I would really like to see a more regulary release intervall, 
f.e. at least all 4 months - regardless if we have only 1 fix since last 
release, or 100.

My 3ct.

Gün.






Mime
View raw message