apr-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn:eol-style for autoconf stuff
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 00:42:00 GMT
Bill,
Am 15.02.2011 00:14, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
> The answer is to use the correct tool on the correct platform, not to break
> the line endings for everyone vainly attempting to maintain the files in the
> text editors of the other platforms.
please elaborate who are those 'everyone' folks, and what is the correct
platform??
configure & friends are shell scripts - thus every platform which deals
with shell scripts should also provide an editor which can edit them, no?
what I talk about here mainly is windows, and I guess you know well
about the situation on that platform ...

> If you are foolish enough to mix vc ports of svn with cyg, or visa versa,
> you have what is coming to you :)
yeah, and since there's nowhere a MSYS SVN binary which would do it
'right' I would have to either use Cygwin then, or cant work directly
from svn, but need to always do a 'svn export --native-eol LF' in order
to get the configure scripts in 'right' format ...

so please tell me exactly which platforms may be harmed by
'svn:eol-style LF' for the configure scripts; and please dont tell me
now that you allways want to maintain these scripts from a windows box
with notepad - then I will reply that you should use the 'right' editor
which can handle LF files ... :-)

Please see that I want to find a solution which works for most users
with the stuff commonly available - and there are a couple of editors
available which can handle LF files properly on windows, but so far I
have not found a MSYS version of svn, and Cygwin seems a bit overkill
just for getting svn only ...

Gün.