apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Speirs <bill.spe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: dev Digest of: get.23632
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 14:33:50 GMT
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 1:12 PM,  <dev-help@apr.apache.org> wrote:
> From: "William A. Rowe Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
> To: dev@apr.apache.org
> Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 22:09:20 -0600
> Subject: Re: Getting the groups a user belongs to
>
> It seems sensible, the only hassle is the performance penalty that could be assessed
> for hitting the domain server.  Can you check this out and benchmark it?

I can try, but what are you looking for specifically: Win Vs. Linux or
Domain Vs. No Domain?

Domain Vs. No Domain is going to be tough for me as my domain
controller and workstation are on the same network, so the latency
won't really show. Whereas, in a production environment that is under
heavy load, your mileage will greatly vary.

>> The other issue is that on Windows I get back a char* for the groups; whereas, on
>> Unix/Linux I get back a gid list. Is there a preference? Would people rather a function
>> that returns a gid list or a char* list?
>
> Well, we should treat them as apr_gid_t, which on win32 would devolve to a pointer
> to a full UUID of the appropriate group (and we then unwind the identifier into a
> human-readable string with the appropriate apr_group_name_get function).

In Linux this is a non-issue as the function naturally returns
apr_gid_t; whereas, with Windows I only get back a char* for the
group. I can call LookupAccountName on each name to get the
SID/apr_gid_t. If there is a function to get apr_gid_ts for the groups
a user is a member of, I am unaware of such a function.

Bill-

P.S. Sorry for the late response...