apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: conditional in apr_thread_proc.h
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 08:57:27 GMT
 On 02.09.2010 09:20, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 09:15 +0200, Guenter Knauf wrote:
>> hmm, I thought adding a function is not a problem - only
>> changing/removing - or?
> Adding is a problem too. If someone links against newer minor version,
> this program should work against older minor version too. However, older
> minor version will not have that function, so it may not work

I don't interpret our versioning rules that way ...
http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html says explicitly, "Compatibility
with prior minor versions is not guaranteed" for both source and binary
compatibility.

However, you certainly cannot retroactively add a function to 1.4.x that
was not already present in 1.5.0. So I expect you meant "micro version"
above, rather than "minor version".

-- Brane