On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 11:49 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
I'll limit my reply to speak to the actual issues, rather than the rest of the
silliness in your rant.

Oh, I guess my last email wasn't all that clear:  I am looking for answers to the "actual issues", yes I ranted initially, but then I was frustrated and acting less then professional.  But then I hope this mailing list is able to understand no one is perfect.  What I am trying to understand is: Why is Apache 2.2 still using an old compiler.   Slowly but surely, thanks to your help, I am starting to understand.

I learned a long time ago that I ain't all that smart and when I see very well established things do something I think is bazar, I should find out WHY they are doing it, fore there is more then likely a good, no not just good, but WISE reason for it.  Which is the reason I asked WHY.  Despite me being in a pissing mode, I still wanted to be let in on the wisdom of why the old compiler was and is being used.

The science of binary versioning of a single shared library resource was
solved a very long time ago, so it's strange this still is not applied
sensibly for such a critical, common requirement as C language applications.
Somehow, all the rest of the MS OS related teams are held to such a basic
requirement, so it's just puzzling.

Ok, I *THINK* I understand the why, is this correct:

The Apache Foundation wants to keep all the DLL dependencies identical for a given version (2.2) so that when a new version of 2.2 comes out, folks do not have to go back and recompile all the other code that runs under it, like Perl, Python, PHP, and custom modules.  Because Microsoft decided to change the name of their c runtime library, the Apache Foundation is still compiled with VC6 to keep this binary compatibility.

Now there are Strawberry Perl and other alternatives, and now that there are
more solutions today, now that the 'express' flavors include the various
toolchain components, and the DDK team continues to find ways to provide the
msvcrt.dll functionality, as your link points out.  It becomes a question of
what the best choice is, and you are writing to the wrong list for that whole
discussion.

So if I understand what you are say here, folks know about options like what I found and they are still deciding what to do moving forward.

But there are reasons the tone of your post falls on deaf ears.

This is clearly not true, fore you have been very generous to read and reply to my posts.  The only thing I ever was hoping to see change was my understanding of the WHY it is the way it is today.

Thank you very much for the enlightenment.  Considering my use of Apache is in a custom app where all my code is in either an Apache Module or Axis2/C service, I tend to forget about the bigger picture like those using PHP, Perl and such.  Again, I do appreciate all your time to read and reply, this has been very enlightening!

Sam