apr-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Carleton <scarle...@miltonstreet.com>
Subject Re: Compiling and using apr_dbd_sqlite3
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:04:48 GMT
On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 11:49 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>wrote:

> I'll limit my reply to speak to the actual issues, rather than the rest of
> the
> silliness in your rant.

Oh, I guess my last email wasn't all that clear:  I am looking for answers
to the "actual issues", yes I ranted initially, but then I was frustrated
and acting less then professional.  But then I hope this mailing list is
able to understand no one is perfect.  What I am trying to understand is:
Why is Apache 2.2 still using an old compiler.   Slowly but surely, thanks
to your help, I am starting to understand.

I learned a long time ago that I ain't all that smart and when I see very
well established things do something I think is bazar, I should find out WHY
they are doing it, fore there is more then likely a good, no not just good,
but WISE reason for it.  Which is the reason I asked WHY.  Despite me being
in a pissing mode, I still wanted to be let in on the wisdom of why the old
compiler was and is being used.

> The science of binary versioning of a single shared library resource was
> solved a very long time ago, so it's strange this still is not applied
> sensibly for such a critical, common requirement as C language
> applications.
> Somehow, all the rest of the MS OS related teams are held to such a basic
> requirement, so it's just puzzling.

Ok, I *THINK* I understand the why, is this correct:

The Apache Foundation wants to keep all the DLL dependencies identical for a
given version (2.2) so that when a new version of 2.2 comes out, folks do
not have to go back and recompile all the other code that runs under it,
like Perl, Python, PHP, and custom modules.  Because Microsoft decided to
change the name of their c runtime library, the Apache Foundation is still
compiled with VC6 to keep this binary compatibility.

> Now there are Strawberry Perl and other alternatives, and now that there
> are
> more solutions today, now that the 'express' flavors include the various
> toolchain components, and the DDK team continues to find ways to provide
> the
> msvcrt.dll functionality, as your link points out.  It becomes a question
> of
> what the best choice is, and you are writing to the wrong list for that
> whole
> discussion.

So if I understand what you are say here, folks know about options like what
I found and they are still deciding what to do moving forward.

> But there are reasons the tone of your post falls on deaf ears.

This is clearly not true, fore you have been very generous to read and reply
to my posts.  The only thing I ever was hoping to see change was my
understanding of the WHY it is the way it is today.

Thank you very much for the enlightenment.  Considering my use of Apache is
in a custom app where all my code is in either an Apache Module or Axis2/C
service, I tend to forget about the bigger picture like those using PHP,
Perl and such.  Again, I do appreciate all your time to read and reply, this
has been very enlightening!

Sam