apr-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Carleton <scarle...@miltonstreet.com>
Subject Re: Compiling and using apr_dbd_sqlite3
Date Sat, 03 Jul 2010 13:53:50 GMT
On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 3:21 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>wrote:

> On 7/2/2010 7:53 PM, Sam Carleton wrote:
> >
> > Do I need to compile the whole apr library, per the instructions on the
> > web site or should I be able to simply convert the apr_dbd_sqlite3.dsp
> > project to a Visual Studio 2008 project and compile it?
>
> Twofold question.  First, db providers should be independently compilable,
> so you are good in that regard.
>
> Second, for every free(), close(), fclose() and other non-Win32 call to the
> C API which corresponds to resource creation from within APR, you may
> expect
> a segfault since these sorts of records are constrained to a single flavor
> of the MSVCR library.  The httpd/apr distributed by the httpd project is
> still built on MSVCRT/VC6.

Why?  why why why?  I simply don't get it, the Apache server (and what I
have seen of APR) is some of the best written code I have seen.  I know
there are some truly amazing minds behind it.  So why is it still using a
compiler that is 10-years-old!  What is so outstanding about VC6 over any of
the newer, free version of Visual Studio compiler?  I simply don't
understand it, I am sure there is a reason for it but I simply am not seeing
the logic.

> I understand it's possible to build using the DDK libraries to target the
> same MSVCRT, in which case you should have no problems whatsoever.  If you
> build for a Studio 2008 SQLite/apr_dbd_sqlite module, then there may be
> issues if sqlite allocates memory, etc, under the assumption that the
> caller
> will then free those resources, and similarly the whole dbd interface.

Off and learn how to get VS2008 to compile against the same ancient runtime
that Apache is using.

Sam