apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Bert Huijben" <b...@qqmail.nl>
Subject [Patch] apr_filepath_merge() on "c:path" fails consistently on Windows if the current directory is "c:/windows" instead of "C:/Windows"
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 12:43:26 GMT
	Hi,

As mailed in November 2009 [1], simple apr_filepath_merge() calls on paths
like "C:/Windows" fail for users that use a shell that turns their active
directory in a "c:/users/bert" style instead of the more common
"C:/users/bert" (note the lower case 'C').

The current APR code just assumes that drive letters returned by the Windows
current path functions are always uppercase, which is not the case. This
issue is reported every few months on different Subversion mailinglists and
probably seen much more often by users that can't explain any of this.

The patch attached to this mail removes the assumption that the drive
letters must always be uppercase and adds a test which shows the error
behavior. Easier ways to reproduce are adding a program shortcut with a
lower case letter in the 'Start In' box, using CygWin or using 'CD /D
c:\windows' in a dos prompt.
(See also dirent_uri-tests.exe 36 in Subversion)

I'm willing to work on more patches to improve APR and especially APR's
performance on Windows, but if even this most important patch for me (and
other Windows Subversion users) takes more than half a year to apply even
with periodic pinging (some on private@), I can probably better spend my
time starting my own APR patches for Windows project.

For other long delayed Windows specific patches from me and others see [2]
and [3] (but these didn't receive the same amount of review as [1]).

	Bert

[1] http://marc.info/?t=125737717900001&r=1&w=3
[2] http://marc.info/?t=127143172200001&r=1&w=2
[3] http://marc.info/?l=apr-dev&m=127219937825412