apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: allocator and using malloc alternatives
Date Wed, 19 May 2010 02:48:33 GMT

On 19 May 2010, at 02:58, Chris Knight wrote:

> Ah, makes sense. Yeah would be insane to change the malloc replacement mid-stream so
an alternate to create_with_allocator is nice.

> But you also bring up an important question; I argue that you should only be able to
do this on a top-level pool, not on a child pool...(In other words, create_with_allocator
would not take a parent pool pointer.)

I disagree.  You should be able to have the parent pool manage it.

Example: you have a shm pool.  If it's top-level, what's to stop the
shm segment disappearing from under it?  But if the shm segment
is created on a pool, and then the shm pool is created on the
same pool (or a child), then you ensure the right sequencing.

Feel free to rubbish me.  It's nearly 4am here, and I can't sleep :(

--
Nick Kew