apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r920897 - /apr/apr/trunk/file_io/win32/open.c
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 12:39:45 GMT
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 4:22 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On 5/20/2010 10:11 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>
>> lame question months late:
>>
>> What is the compilation environment in which this ANSI_FS code is
>> compiled -- i.e., WINNT is not defined?
>
> Correct; windows 9x compatible versions such as APR 1.3.x and prior.

(Did you mean "APR 1.4.x and prior"?)

I'm wondering when WINNT would *not* be defined.  I see '/D "WINNT"'
in various .mak and .dsp files, regardless of APR version.

Regardless of APR version, does the user have to hack up the provided
dsp files (or build via another mechanism) in order to undefine WINNT,
which is what is required to even compile the "#if APR_HAS_ANSI_FS"
lines?

> I'm tempted to gut this code, but understood some users hacked to use the
> ANSI path only and forget all unicode/utf-8 resource naming, and adopted
> only their machine's (SBCS/MBCS) code page.
>
> For 2.0 APR, axing the ansi legacy seems wise.

+1