Rainer's tip worked using:

CC="gcc" ./configure -C --prefix=/usr/local/apr-util --with-apr=/usr/local/apr --with-ldap-include=/opt/IBM/ldap/V6.1/include --with-ldap-lib=/opt/IBM/ldap/V6.1/lib --with-ldap=ibmldapn

Thank you very much and sorry for the formatting
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Robert Cooper
> Yes, you're correct, it should be openldap
> I tried running configure with --with-ldap=/usr/local/openldap and still
> couldn't get apr-util to compile
> checking for ldap support...
> checking for ldap_init in -l/usr/local/openldap... no
> checking for ldap_init in -l/usr/local/openldap... no
> checking for ldap_init in -l/usr/local/openldap... no
> checking for ldap_init in -l/usr/local/openldap... no
> configure: error: could not find an LDAP library
> So I guess there's an issue with my openldap build?
>
> The part that I don't understand is why do I need openldap if I'm trying to
> build apache to be able to authenticate to a Tivoli Directory Service.

You need to use some LDAP client library; whichever you use should be
able to talk to Tivoli DS.

OpenLDAP is the client library that most people use with httpd/apr-util.

>  In
> the end, I'm trying to get TDS ldap to work with apache and subversion.  Is
> there way to configure apr-util to use TDS or AIX ldap filesets?

If you're subscribed to the list, see Rainer's hint (or check the archives).