apr-dev mailing list archives

From Wes Garland <...@page.ca>
Subject Re: apr_env_set use of putenv
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 23:30:15 GMT
Leaking is nasty, but I have to agree with Ed here.

The problem with Graham's "proper" solution is that it is quite legitimate
for a pure-C caller -- e.g. a DSO with no knowledge of APR whatsoever -- to
pull an environment variable with getenv and expect to be able to hold on to
that pointer for the lifetime of the program.

Awful, but true. API fail!

Here's what the BSD folks have to say, courtesy of my Leopard box:
BUGS
     Successive calls to setenv() or putenv() assigning a differently sized
value to the same name will result in a memory leak.  The
     FreeBSD semantics for these functions (namely, that the contents of
value are copied and that old values remain accessible indefi-
     nitely) make this bug unavoidable.  Future versions may eliminate one
or both of these semantic guarantees in order to fix the
     bug.

It's pretty much the same everywhere else IME.

Wes

--
Wesley W. Garland
Director, Product Development