apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Hyrum K. Wright" <hyrum_wri...@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject Re: Making Subversion folks APR committers?
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 20:21:27 GMT
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Sander Temme <sander@temme.net> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2010, at 5:15 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> >> For instance, Hyrum K. Wright submitted a patch for apr_hash and asked
> >> about it a few times. My understanding is that he's a Subversion
> >> committer. Instead of him waiting for some of us to do it, we can just
> >> make him a committer here. When other Subversion folks submit patches,
> >> we can then do the same. It would help APR move along quicker, I
> >> guess...
> >
> > We can, and actually Hyrum would be a fine choice.  But as an en masse
> > thing?  Even Subversion graduates their committers into different levels
> > of trust, just as httpd does.  I think we can ask for and expect some
> > quality patches before adding them to the apr ldap commit group.
>
> If it were up to me, I'd favor giving commit on the basis of merit and
> demonstrated involvement, just like anyone else.

Speaking as one of the Subversion committers in question, I tend to agree
with this sentiment.  It really doesn't make much sense to grandfather an
entire group of people into the project: just because somebody knows and
understands the Subversion community, doesn't mean the same holds true for
APR.  (That being said, it makes sense to perhaps take their history with
Subversion, as well as other Apache projects, into account when discussing
commit access proposals.)

-Hyrum