apr-dev mailing list archives

From Роман Донченко <DXDra...@yandex.ru>
Subject Re: Misbehaviour of apr_os_locale_encoding on Windows
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:21:45 GMT
Branko Čibej <brane@xbc.nu> писал в своём письме Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:34:21

+0500:

> On 13.04.2010 19:19, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> What is your opinion of the proposed patch to just this interface?  It
>> seems
>> that aligning to the system LCID is very problematic for a multi-user
>> OS,
>> where you are on an eastern European codepage, and I'm on a western
>> codepage.
>> The files you are working with are likely different than mine.
>> Changing to
>> the systemwide codepage definitely seems invalid, notwithstanding the
>> issues
>> noted about apr_user_name_get().
>>

> I really have no clue offhand. It seems wrong to ignore the thread
> locale in all cases. Like I wrote in the other post, this picking of one
> of the 55 different current locales can probably only be properly done
> by the application, not by APR. Which would imply that either APR should
> expose some of those alternate locales through its API (eek!) or we
> gently dump this whole issue as a Somebody Else's Problem.

You mean My Problem, right? ;=]

Anyway, we're not ignoring the whole thread locale here — just the code
page part. And here's another thought experiment: Notepad, by default,
saves and reads files in the system codepage, regardless of what the user
locale says. Makes sense to be compatible with Notepad, doesn't it? 8=]
That, and apr_user_name_get, and all the ANSI versions of the WinAPI
functions - you'd be hard-pressed to find a place where the user locale's
code page is actually used. Well, maybe in projects that use APR. 8=]

Roman.