apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Misbehaviour of apr_os_locale_encoding on Windows
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:19:13 GMT
On 4/13/2010 12:00 PM, Branko ─îibej wrote:

> Well no, but ... as a matter of fact, most of the locale stuff in
> Subversion on Windows, starting with command-line parsing (we don't use
> apr_app_initialize) all the way to printing to the console (we don't use
> the wide-character printf variants) is subtly wrong. And on my head be
> it because I implemented all those bits and know about the deficiencies
> and haven't fixed it.

FWIW, not using apr_app_initialize will significantly restrict what non-ASCII
paths are going to do, since the filesystem is handled in utf-8, and likely
collects many operating variables from the env array and command line args.

Fortunately we have several win32, non-roman-charset folks around to show up
where these flaws could hide and help diagnose.

But the majority of the subversion issues described here are in subversion.

What is your opinion of the proposed patch to just this interface?  It seems
that aligning to the system LCID is very problematic for a multi-user OS,
where you are on an eastern European codepage, and I'm on a western codepage.
The files you are working with are likely different than mine.  Changing to
the systemwide codepage definitely seems invalid, notwithstanding the issues
noted about apr_user_name_get().