apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Hyrum K. Wright" <hyrum_wri...@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject Re: Crash in apr_psprintf(), 1.4.x branch
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:45:53 GMT

On Mar 16, 2010, at 9:00 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2010, at 5:45 PM, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>

>> On Mar 10, 2010, at 11:26 AM, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>>
>>> In trying to get Subversion acquainted with the 1.4.x branch, I
>>> encountered the a crash within an invocation of apr_psprintf().  The
>>> attached patch adds a test case demonstrating the crash.  The patch is
>>> against 1.4.x, but applies to trunk as well, where the bug is also
>>> present.
>>>
>>> The test case is essentially a replication of one of the calls to
>>> apr_psprintf() that happens deep within Subversion, and which
>>> functions just fine when working against 1.3.x.  In digging a little
>>> deeper, it appears that the var arg pointer isn't being advanced
>>> properly at some point in apr_vformatter(), but I'm hoping that
>>> someone more familiar with the code will be able to figure out what's
>>> really going on.
>>
>> Digging deeper, it appears to be an error in apr_vformatter() when parsing the format
'%lld'.  I'm running the tests on Mac OS X where APR_OFF_FMT_T is defined as lld, so this
format occurs frequently.  Consequently, I'm also seeing a failure in testfmt at line 63,
where the parser is attempting to parse APR_OFF_FMT_T, but failing.  Can anybody else replicate
this bug?

>> I'm a little new here, but would consider something like this is probably a blocker
for 1.4.x.  This may already have been discussed, but I haven't seen it, at least in the past
couple of months.

> Are you forcing -arch i386 ?
>
> It may be you are hitting the problem with APR and universal binaries under
> OS X. With Snow Leopard, this no longer works correctly, and
> trying to compile both as i386 and x86-64 results in problems because
> the actual C header files are different depending on which version is
> built. A patch was put in awhile ago to fix this, but was vetoed.

I'm using whatever './configure' spits out on Snow Leopard.  I don't see an explicit '-arch'
flag in the compiler flags

-Hyrum