apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: apr_env_set use of putenv
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:54:51 GMT
On 29 Mar 2010, at 3:36 PM, Dan Poirier wrote:

> I don't think that's the right pattern to follow.  apr_table is used
> allocate a new data structure, owned by the caller, and the caller
> certainly should control its lifetime.  apr_env_set() is used to add
> an
> entry to the OS's environment, which the caller does not own and would
> not expect to have any control over the lifetime of its entries.

 From what I can see of the code right now, the caller is expected to
control the lifetime of the string that it passes, or set up their own
cleanup as appropriate to ensure that the environment entry is removed
if the pool is removed.

The strdup() is by definition a leak, so that isn't ideal at all.

I suspect the docs would need to be updated to warn the caller than if
they set a string in the environment, they are required to ensure
their string lives as long as the process, or to register their own
cleanup if not.

Regards,
Graham