apr-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: apr_file_open() and non blocking IO
Date Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:54:56 GMT
On 28 Feb 2010, at 2:20 PM, Dan Poirier wrote:

>> I am trying to open a fifo on disk with the O_NONBLOCK flag set,
>> and I
>> notice that apr's apr_file_open() cannot do this.
>>
>> As a result, if nobody else is already reading from the fifo,
>> apr_file_open blocks, and this is the behaviour I want to avoid.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any reason why this wouldn't work?
>
> Seems reasonable.  Have you tried it, or is this still hypothetical?

I have used it extensively on unix (Linux and MacOSX) within software
that makes extensive use of an event driven architecture, however my
knowledge of Windows is limited.

I have code that I would like to eventually have compiled on Windows,
but if I support Windows, I can no longer support unix, thus the
problem. I wanted to check first that there was nothing controversial
I was missing.

> It looks like the new flag is using the same bit as
> APR_FOPEN_ROTATING.

That's because the patch was created before running the svn update
that brought in APR_FOPEN_ROTATING, it's already been fixed.

Regards,
Graham