apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Hyrum K. Wright" <hyrum_wri...@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject Re: Crash in apr_psprintf(), 1.4.x branch
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:53:09 GMT

On Mar 10, 2010, at 5:50 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> On 3/10/2010 4:45 PM, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>>
>> Digging deeper, it appears to be an error in apr_vformatter() when parsing the format
'%lld'.  I'm running the tests on Mac OS X where APR_OFF_FMT_T is defined as lld, so this
format occurs frequently.  Consequently, I'm also seeing a failure in testfmt at line 63,
where the parser is attempting to parse APR_OFF_FMT_T, but failing.  Can anybody else replicate
this bug?

> Yes, this function isn't maintained on Mac OS/X.  Which is something
> of a surprise, given the number of Mac fans around here!
>
> The defintions are very clear, %d must handle an (int) sized object,
> %ld must handle a (long) sized object, and %lld must handle any
> long long int sized object.  Patches welcome.
>
> I plan to patch win32 to accept %I64[ld] because long long type was added
> with VS 7.1, while %ll was not added until the more recent Visual Studio 8.
> I64d goes further back in time to 6.0 or prior, and is how we specified
> the format tag for APR_OFF_T_FMT etc.

Digging even further.  It appears that the parser is attempting to match APR_INT64_T_FMT first,
which may be of variable size.  On OS X, this is defined as 'ld', but the parser mistakenly
matches APR_OFF_T_FMT, which is defined as 'lld' for this case.

Attached is a patch which adds another block which preemptively matches APR_OFF_T_FMT.  I've
tested it on OS X and a 64-bit Linux system.

-Hyrum