apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: APR and Windows Services
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:28:25 GMT
On 3/24/2010 3:49 PM, sidinsd wrote:

> sidinsd wrote:
>>
>> It is almost as if the linking in of the apr_initialize() code somehow
>> screws everything up. Has anybody heard of such a problem?
>>
> Well, I figured this one out myself. Apparently, the libapr1-dll file must
> be in the same directory as the .exe file for the program you are running.
> It has nothing to do with it being a Windows Service, this applies to any
> program. My guess as to why this is required is that the loadDLL that the
> system does for the apr_initialize() doesn't take into affect the PATH
> environment variable and just looks in the current working directory. That
> seems a bit silly, but putting the dll into the working directory solved my
> problem, so I'm happy.

It never got to apr_initialize(), the function never existed, so in this respect
you are a bit off topic for the list.  There are a few of us here that maintain
the apr port, but we don't always have time to provide immediate feedback.

You are looking at Windows Vista/7/2008 Server behavior by design, talk to
Microsoft if you don't like their changes, but please don't go bashing the
library projects (all bazillion of them) just because you aren't paying
attention to the restrictions your preferred operating system imposes.  :)