apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r905970 - in /apr/apr/trunk: file_io/unix/filedup.c file_io/unix/open.c file_io/unix/readwrite.c include/apr_file_io.h include/arch/unix/apr_arch_file_io.h
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:17:19 GMT
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 4:48 AM, Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 10:18:04AM -0000, Paul Querna wrote:
>> Author: pquerna
>> Date: Wed Feb  3 10:17:57 2010
>> New Revision: 905970

>> Log:
>> Add two new features to APR Files:
>>  - When opened with normal rotating flag, every 60 seconds the file will check
>>    if the file it is writing to has changed inode (ie, been replaced/moved).
>>  - When opened with the manual rotating flag, the consumer must call the check,
>>    but can provider the current timestamp, to avoid a apr_time call.
>>
>> This is based off of the patch from Brian, but I've modified it for style, and
>> adding the manual rotation flag after discussion with brian at the httpd
>> hackathon.
>
> Why do this in APR?  This seems like a fairly obscure feature to try to
> shoehorn into apr_file_*.

FWIW, that was my reaction to seeing this committed.  It feels fragile
for the long haul, but interest in the community would certainly
mitigate that.  Perhaps this was first discussed with other APR
colleagues at the recent httpd hackathon; otherwise, the neighborly
thing to do would be to discuss this on the list first and get some
buy-in (intentionally side-stepping the "it didn't happen if it didn't
happen on the list" meme :) )

Who wants it to keep working bad enough to write testcases for it or
get it working on Windows?