apr-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: apr-util - "missing" file is GPL licensed
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2010 12:56:38 GMT
On 05.02.2010 02:15, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 04 Feb 2010, at 6:27 PM, Nick Kew wrote:
>
>> Since noone else has replied yet, I'll Cc: this to legal.
>>
>> This appears to be part of expat, which APR merely bundles.
>> Your primary port of call should presumably be the expat
>> developers. Having said that, it is indeed included in
>> APR distributions from Apache, so it looks like an issue
>> for us. I don't know if it comes under any of the FSF's
>> exceptions for the core toolchain (as in, compiling with
>> gcc and linking glibc doesn't bring you under GPL).
>>
>> From an APR point of view, I've long argued that we should
>> stop bundling third-party libraries that would be better
>> treated as dependencies. We may now have yet another reason
>> to do so!
>>
>> FWIW, it should also be straightforward to remove the file
>> and (at worst) substitute stubs for anything that's required.
>> The worst it'll do is make the build less robust against
>> an incomplete toolchain.
>
> Isn't "missing" part of automake?
>
> I suspect "missing" is subject to the license exceptions that allow
> automake to be used on non-GPL code. This might be a bug in automake
> itself (incorrect license conditions being embedded in files).

The version contained in apr-util expat is old and doesn't contain the
exception. Recent versions of the file "missing", e.g. the one
distributes with automake-1.10.2 does contain the addition

# As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you
# distribute this file as part of a program that contains a
# configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it under
# the same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.

in the file header.

Regards,

Rainer