apr-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: apr-util - "missing" file is GPL licensed
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2010 16:27:59 GMT
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:11:01 -0500 (EST)
Art Cannon <klx3h@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> Please forgive me if I've reached the wrong list. I apologize. Feel free to point me
in the proper direction.

> I'm curious. There is a GPL licensed file in apr-util.
>
> Why is xml/expat/conftools/missing present? It's licensed under the GPL. Does that cause
apr-util to be licensed under the GPL?

Since noone else has replied yet, I'll Cc: this to legal.

This appears to be part of expat, which APR merely bundles.
Your primary port of call should presumably be the expat
developers.  Having said that, it is indeed included in
APR distributions from Apache, so it looks like an issue
for us.  I don't know if it comes under any of the FSF's
exceptions for the core toolchain (as in, compiling with
gcc and linking glibc doesn't bring you under GPL).

From an APR point of view, I've long argued that we should
stop bundling third-party libraries that would be better
treated as dependencies.  We may now have yet another reason
to do so!

FWIW, it should also be straightforward to remove the file
and (at worst) substitute stubs for anything that's required.
The worst it'll do is make the build less robust against
an incomplete toolchain.

--
Nick Kew