apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discuss] Releasing pre-release APR
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2009 08:03:35 GMT
> In light of current events, here's a policy statement I'd like to propose
> for consideration (just a discussion item at this point);
>
>   The APR project strongly discourages any release of the APR software
>   with modifications of the API.  This includes shipping ".0-dev" pre
>   release source code which has not yet been adopted in an official APR
>   release.  Any such use is in violation of the Apache APR trademark.
>
>   Private releases which include API modifications must not use the name
>   Apache APR and must not use the same publicly installed library and header
>   file names, or must not be installed or configured to be installed to the
>   platform-specific, conventional shared paths such as /usr/bin/, /usr/include,
>   %windir%\system32 etc.  Nothing in this policy precludes the application

This is far too strong for me. It is up to the person who compiles where to
install it. If you install an alpha release of a software in its standard
location thus breaking your other production applications it is your
own fault. Every sane person would use a dedicated --prefix for such
installs. This is also the reason why I still don't get all this stuff
in conjunction with httpd. My typical approach is:
- Drop in the deps tar ball in srclib of httpd
- Configure httpd to install with a dedicated prefix.

So by default nothing but the alpha httpd or modules I compile explicitly
against this alpha httpd compile against this 'experimental' APR.

But if someone likes to install it in the standard location why must we
rule that out?

Regards

RĂ¼diger