apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [discuss] Releasing pre-release APR
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2009 22:07:56 GMT
Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 20:35 +0100, Guenter Knauf wrote:
>> I think we need a way to distribute alpha releases, just same as what
>> we do with httpd.
>
> Why don't we just do what many other projects do - pronounce that for
> any odd minor release no versioning rules apply, whatsoever. So, if
> somebody links to, say 1.5 in the future, it's their own problem if
> things change in 1.6.

In conjunction with naming resources as -2.5 instead of -2, including the
libs and include directories, so that 2.5 is explicitly incompatible with
the 2.x series, while the 2.6 resources would all be named -2 (true binary
compatibility) this would make a lot of sense.  My personal preference is
to avoid disrupting the 1.x versioning policy.

It would also help if our apr.m4 suggested feature-detection macros would
only pick up this x.odd release on demand, and not pick up such versions
without the explicit autoconf flag to do so.