apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [discuss] Releasing pre-release APR
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:24:30 GMT
Branko ─îibej wrote:

> "Violation of the Apache APR trademark"? For distributing modified APR
> code? Are you serious? You are, among other things, explicitly
> forbidding drop-in re-implementations which our license pretty much
> expressly allows. -1, and if this is a snipe at that recent httpd-alpha
> release, which "in light of current events" it appears to be, -2.

How so?  Our license policy doesn't allow people to recycle our trademarks.
And it says nothing about re-implementations at all, AIUI.

They can do just about *anything* with the code by design, but not with the
Apache APR name itself.  The same will be true for Apache Subversion.

Replacements can *never* use an Apache project name without explicit
permission.  Only Apache Software Foundation code can be called "Apache Foo".