apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] APR versioning rules w.r.t. released snapshots
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:28:24 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Branko ─îibej <brane@xbc.nu> wrote:
>>
>> Specifically: if I build and install the APR from that bespoke httpd
>> tarball, what does apr-1-config --version say?
>>
>>    * If the answer is 1.4.0, the user will believe they just installed
>>      an APR release.
>>    * If the answer is 1.4.0-dev, then it's clearly a development
>>      snapshot and all bets are off.
>
> Exactly!

Correct, it is internally labeled 1.4.0-dev.  It is not externally (plainly
visible to the user) as an apr-dev.  The artifact is httpd-2.3.4-alpha-deps.tar

> from the dev snapshot version bundled with httpd 2.3.4-alpha:
> #define APR_MAJOR_VERSION       1
> #define APR_MINOR_VERSION       4
> #define APR_PATCH_VERSION       0
> #define APR_IS_DEV_VERSION

Unfortunately the APR versioning rules do not tell the developer not to compile
against or link to -dev, while this gives the user no indication of what they
are doing to their APR installation.

Perhaps a future solution is to change the APR detection .m4 that we provide,
to emit a loud ./configure results?  E.g. warnings like

  You are building against an installed apr 1.4.1-dev.
  This is not a released version of the apr library.

  You are linking against a PRE-RELEASE version of apr-1.4.0,
  binary compatibility is not assured.  Upgrade of this apr
  package should be expected to break this installed package.

And on the side of APR's own ./configure --prefix=/old-apr-prefix

  YOU ARE REPLACING A MORE RECENT apr-1.4.1 with apr-1.4.0-dev.  ARE YOU SURE?

If these already existed, all of my objections would have been moot.