apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Quick things, apr/apr-util releases
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:50:40 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> I thought that was covered by
>
> "Paul and I agree that we shouldn't be working to accommodate a
> *developer* who programs against an API that shipped by httpd labeled
> '-alpha'.  It wasn't an apr-util release, they shouldn't have any such
> expectations."

Not quite; the scenario that follows is;

 - user builds/installs apr-util-1.4.1 w/ crypto
 - user builds/installs crypto-using application
 - user builds/installs httpd-2.3.4-alpha, not replacing crypto modules
   (not even realizing they are borking their 1.4.1 install).

Maintaining consistency means that they won't crash when running the
arbitrary app.  Breaking the structure means that it will randomly crash
when attempting to use the crypto api calls.

Rather than trying to vote away the mess, maybe the solution is to give
apr ./configure some magic to note that they are installing an older
version of apr on top of a newer, already-installed version?