apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Quick things, apr/apr-util releases
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:21:27 GMT
trawick@gmail.com wrote:
> The previous paragraph acknowledges that we aren't worried if somebody
> codes against in-flux APIs in that apr-util packaged with httpd 2.3.4.
> What is the problem scenario here? How can the exchange of
> apr-util-1.4.0-dev with apr-util 1.4.1 hurt unless the user has some
> code that relies on in-flux APIs?

On some platforms (windows) the library will fail to load if the number
of args to an apr_fn(x,y,z) signature change.  Win32, for example, will
decorate the link symbols with the number of bytes of stack args, e.g.
apr_initialize is 'apr_initialize@0'.  But on most platforms, such a
change in the number of args is silently harmful.

Similarly, for Graham's work on the apr_crypto_t structure, moving the
apr_crypto_driver_t element or adding the *error pointer in the middle
of the existing declarations will silently slaughter a provider compiled
under 1.4.1+++ but running under 1.4.0-dev.

View raw message