apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Quick things, apr/apr-util releases
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 02:04:01 GMT
Looks like apr has enough votes, with mine after I do the last of
the verifications tonight [and fix the broken test, which shouldn't
block the release].

About apr-util compat, I'm only voting/vetoing around user-expectations,
not developer expectations.  Paul and I agree that we shouldn't be working
to accommodate a *developer* who programs against an API that shipped by
httpd labeled '-alpha'.  It wasn't an apr-util release, they shouldn't
have any such expectations.

We ought to anticipate the *user* who has either 1) built packages against
apr-util-1.4.x and then installs this httpd package apr-util-1.4.0-dev,
and *silently* breaks their apps built against 1.4.x (I don't care if they
get an emit that apr_foo can't be found because they overwrote a good
apr-util release with an httpd package), or who has 2) built packages that
compile successfully against apr-util-1.4.0-dev from their httpd install,
but actually target apr-util-1.4.x, and they return to update their
apr-util-1.4.0-dev with apr-util-1.4.x, *silently* breaking their packages.