apr-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] Releasing pre-release APR
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2009 23:05:09 GMT
On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 17:01 -0600, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> I don't think Bojan actually suggests we nuke it.

No, no nuking at all. Just bit of skipping.

> The suggestion is that all n.even releases would be ABI stable.  n.odd
> releases would be purely alpha- and beta-, with clear notices to the
> user of what they are obtaining, and that updating is likely to break
> their applications which are ./configure'd --with-apr-dev or some
> similar flag.

Yep, something like that. In other words, if we have say 1.8 released
and we are working towards 1.10, then anything in 1.9 is completely
API/ABI unstable and relying on it being present in 1.10 is a gamble. Of
course, the relationship between 1.8 and 1.10 would still obey the same
rules as we now have for say 1.3 to 1.4.

--
Bojan