apr-dev mailing list archives

From traw...@gmail.com
Subject Re: Quick things, apr/apr-util releases
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:23:52 GMT
On Dec 14, 2009 9:04pm, "William A. Rowe Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> About apr-util compat, I'm only voting/vetoing around user-expectations,

> not developer expectations. Paul and I agree that we shouldn't be working

> to accommodate a *developer* who programs against an API that shipped by

> httpd labeled '-alpha'. It wasn't an apr-util release, they shouldn't

> have any such expectations.

> We ought to anticipate the *user* who has either 1) built packages against

> apr-util-1.4.x and then installs this httpd package apr-util-1.4.0-dev,

> and *silently* breaks their apps built against 1.4.x (I don't care if they

> get an emit that apr_foo can't be found because they overwrote a good

> apr-util release with an httpd package), or who has 2) built packages that

> compile successfully against apr-util-1.4.0-dev from their httpd install,

> but actually target apr-util-1.4.x, and they return to update their

> apr-util-1.4.0-dev with apr-util-1.4.x, *silently* breaking their
> packages.

The previous paragraph acknowledges that we aren't worried if somebody
codes against in-flux APIs in that apr-util packaged with httpd 2.3.4. What
is the problem scenario here? How can the exchange of apr-util-1.4.0-dev
with apr-util 1.4.1 hurt unless the user has some code that relies on
in-flux APIs?