apr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Revised] Future tag plans
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:12:43 GMT
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:55 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> If nobody objects, I'll plan to tag 1.4.0 this coming Monday 11/16
>
> ... unless somebody beats me to it, modulo the SHOWSTOPPERS in the
> STATUS file.  Unless crypto can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction,
> and vetoes addressed, that means it may have to wait for 1.5/2.0.
> But this is >1yr in discussion so holding our breath is futile, and
> this is entirely unfair to the improvements offered by others which
> have been universally accepted by the reviewers.
>
>> (it so happens to be after all my deadlines and right before more
>> work obligations, so there a hole right there to fill).  Should give
>> anyone sufficient time to wrap up their inspection of the API and
>> code changes.

AFAICT we haven't discussed an alpha-or-beta/API-in-flux pre-1.4.0
tarball for widespread testing.  The discussion seems to be along the
lines of

* developers get the API perfect (or yank out anything that isn't
agreed upon yet)
* tag & roll 1.4.0 (API cast in stone at this point)
* vote whether 1.4.0 should be released, and if so whether alpha/beta/GA

We need to release an alpha|beta 1.4.0-dev snapshot or two and ask not
just for implementation testing but also for feedback on new APIs
before they are frozen.  While I wouldn't be totally surprised if we
get no useful API feedback from outsiders who don't follow this list,
the process should at least acknowledge the value of it.

Mime
View raw message