apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future tag plans
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 05:00:49 GMT
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 23:51, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
<arfrever.fta@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009-11-12 21:59:20 Greg Stein napisał(a):
>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 14:27, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> > With SVN folks joining us at the foundation, I sure hope they pipe up
>> > with their interests and concerns around apr to help along 2.0.  In fact
>> > given the 1.7 release plan in Feb(?) timeframe, this could make sense.
>>
>> Eh? Subversion is not going to move to or use 2.x until... never.
>>
>> Our versioning guidelines (the same as APR, btw) forbid a move to APR
>> 2.x.
>
> Subversion's versioning guidelines don't disallow supporting both APR 1 and APR 2.

Yes, it does.

The SVN API uses apr_pool_t. That typedef could disappear in APR 2.x,
breaking our 1.x APIs.

Thus, we cannot and will not support APR 2.x in the SVN 1.x series.

And no, you cannot paper that over with preprocessor macros. Binary
compatibility is required.

I have no idea why you think we could possibly support both.

-g