apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Future tag plans
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:59:20 GMT
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 14:27, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> With SVN folks joining us at the foundation, I sure hope they pipe up
> with their interests and concerns around apr to help along 2.0.  In fact
> given the 1.7 release plan in Feb(?) timeframe, this could make sense.

Eh? Subversion is not going to move to or use 2.x until... never.

Our versioning guidelines (the same as APR, btw) forbid a move to APR
2.x. Clients that link against svn 1.x (and thus, APR 1.x) need to
continue working throughout the svn 1.x line. And third-party clients
use a lot of APR code which also means source and binary compatibility
from our APR layer.

We also have no plans whatsoever to move to svn 2.x. That implies a
break in our compatibility with huge ramifications across the svn
ecosystem. We have no desire to do that.

IOW, for all intents and purpose, svn will never move beyond APR 1.x.

Cheers,
-g

ps. we sorta/kinda/somehow support APR 0.9, but we don't like to talk
about that :-P