apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mac OS X Universal builds and APR
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:41:37 GMT
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Mladen Turk <mturk@apache.org> wrote:
> On 19/10/09 14:43, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyhow, APR currently lacks the configure options for at
>>> least specifying data model (using CFLAGS=-m32&&  ./configure
>>> is a little bit awkward and nowhere documented)
>>
>> BTW, you have to specify the arch option in CC for all the
>> apr-n-config stuff to work properly.
>>

> Right. I meant that one.
>
>> Documentation of the general requirements would definitely be helpful.
>>  If that existed, would there be any real value in ordaining a
>> particular arch compiler flag?  That seems endless and out of scope
>> anyway.
>>

> Having an out-of-the-box solution would certainly help.
>
> Automatically adding CFLAGS=-m32 or CFLAGS=-m64 by some
> configure option is usually all that is needed.
> Of course things get complicated with different compilers
> Eg, for aCC on HP-UX this has to be CFLAGS=+DD32 or
> CFLAGS=+DD64.

Forget about CFLAGS; you don't need to include arch flags in CFLAGS
given that you have to include it in CC.

> As part of my daily job I'm using something similar to
> APR's config.layout and put the arch selection options
> in that file. Changes to configure are trivial and just
> merge those options
> eg. ./configure --enable-layout=apr --enable-arch=suncc-32

Perhaps I'm out in left field, but I anticipate that packagers will
determine the appropriate arch flags based on exactly what hardware
they support, and use that across a number of open source packages.
(Should "foo-32" support any 32-bit foo processor ever made, or just
those that could have been made in the last 10 years, or just those
supported by the level of the OS the packager prereqs, or ???)