apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: APR 1.4 status (and backport)
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 18:27:56 GMT
On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net>wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > With the hope for the httpd project to start pushing for a 2.4
> > release, it has a dependency on apr 1.4 (actually 2.0, but I'm
> > getting to that). Now that we have a pretty stable 1.3.x branch,
> > I'd like us to put some effort into a 1.4.0 release. With that
> > in mind, I'm also looking at backporting some 2.0 features to
> > 1.4.0, esp the apr_pollcb_create_ex() (et.al.) stuff.
> >
> > Comments?
>
>  * any particular feature you work to copy from 2.0 to 1.4 without
>   breaking 1.x.x binary ABI sounds terrific.
>
>  * including those backports, is 1.4.0 ready, or do we need to revert
>   API's which are not sufficiently thought out?  The apr_crypto interfaces
>   were rejected at 1.3.0, and it would be time to reopen that discussion.
>   I'm pretty sure there haven't been enough eyeballs attending to this.

no clue here; I'd just point out that crypto's use by mod_session_ is the
only thing in httpd trunk that absolutely requires a new APR release (the
simple MPM dependency isn't that big a deal)

>  * a larger question, is 2.0.0 ready?  Are there additional API
> improvements
>   required to call it baked?  Does it fix enough awkward bugs in the static
>   1.x.x API's to suggest that users move over already?  If 2.0.0 is ready,
>   I can see wisdom in not pushing out a 1.4 at all.

I think a number of the issues in trunk's STATUS file under the heading
"Interface Changes Postponed for APR 2.0:" should be considered.  (<httpd>no
joy here digging into that before there's a branch for httpd 2.4.</httpd>)

Something else prior to APR 2.0 is resolving the LDAP interfaces or tossing.
Related: Don't use OpenLDAP's non-threadsafe libldap.so if building
thread-safe APR.  (Hopefully we already do that for other libraries, such as
MySQL's.)