apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Mac OS X Universal builds and APR
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:46:57 GMT

On Oct 19, 2009, at 10:37 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Mladen Turk wrote:
>>
>> Anyhow, APR currently lacks the configure options for at
>> least specifying data model (using CFLAGS=-m32 && ./configure
>> is a little bit awkward and nowhere documented)
>>
>> Resolving that would certainly be one small step helping
>> packagers to solve some of the multi-arch issues.
>
> Bring this to the attention of the libtool and autoconf crew, it's
> precisely
> what they set out to fix, right?

I don't think so. The whole idea is that darwin provides a single
library and executable that bundles multiple architectures; and
so the selection of which to use, in a lib, depends on the compiler
flags passed when building the consumer. So, for example, a long
in this bundled lib is *both* 4 and 8 bytes. Which one that will
be used depends on whether the consumer wants to use one or the
other.

IMO, we either need to wrap these as originally attempted or provide
another layer of abstraction...